Thursday, December 18, 2008

Young blogger glimpses famous person in crowded café

I saw Bill Cullen at Easons today. (For foreign readers, an extremely wealthy businessman who recently featured on a TV show called The Apprentice.) It was upstairs in the café, he was just finishing a meal of some sort and talking to a young companion. Of course I tried to stare without giving the impression of staring at all.

It's funny how television makes people much more immediate, more accessible to your mind. Bill Cullen's book Penny Apples came out a good five years ago and his second book came out soon after. I saw his picture on the cover of those books and saw articles about him in the paper. I remember reading a long interview with him in the Daily Telegraph. But I would never in a million years have recognised him in a café, the way I did today, if it hadn't been for that TV show. He would have just looked like any other middle-aged man in a suit. (Okay, the improbably black hair might have caught my attention, but nothing else!) Even though I only saw a couple of episodes of The Apprentice, the recognition was instant.

I wonder what other famous people I've unknowlingly passed in the street, simply because I haven't seen them on TV ...

No comments: